Monday 6 February 2012

Supporting Elin Jones for Leader of Plaid Cymru on a joint ticket

I accepted nominations and support as a leadership candidate because of three key beliefs.

Firstly, that it was time for the party’s leadership to move down the years to the post-devolution generation.

Secondly, that the party should be led from its centre of gravity, which is itself left of centre in the European political tradition, and

Thirdly, that I could be the leader to meet those two aims and increase the appeal of the party in all parts of Wales.

Since engaging with party members and in several informal hustings meetings, I have been convinced that the majority of the party agrees with me on the first two aims.

Achieving the third in a crowded field has been more difficult. As the most recent Assembly Member in the contest I have had a lot of ground to cover and make up. It’s been gratifying nevertheless to see a great deal of support for me. However, the most signal feature of the current election in Plaid Cymru is the fact that so many branches, constituencies and members are undecided and are seeking real direction. It has become clear to me that the majority of our members want a leader who will focus on building our nation’s economy; sustaining its environment and growing the support for independence in a credible way.

One thing is for certain, Plaid Cymru will not achieve government or electoral success by playing Fisher Price politics with people’s hopes and dreams.

Both Elin and I offer such a vision. I believe that by combining our experience, talents and different types of appeal we can work together to give the party the kind of direction and leadership it clearly needs.

Elin has succeeded in gaining considerable support. I congratulate her on that, and today I announce that I will withdraw my candidacy in order to support her as her deputy on a joint ticket. I ask the party now to trust the next credible generation of Plaid politicians to take us forward under Elin’s leadership.

No comments:

Post a Comment